Our teachers have been busy unraveling the Canvas conundrum. There are so many features, it can be overwhelming. It is wonderful that we can share those insights here. This post is brought to you by Cayley Byrne and Melissa Miller from Issaquah Middle School. They have clarified how you can use Appointment Groups in Canvas to schedule meetings with students. Here are some step-by-step instructions on how to do this.
First, you will want to determine what appointment type you would like to create. For example, are you setting up Office hours? Or are you using this for project meetings? Will students sign up individually or in a group? Once you determine what the appointment is for, you will want to decide if it is for all sections of a course, or even multiple courses.
Now let’s get the appointment group created. From your Canvas global navigation, open your calendar. From here, you will want to create a new event.
It defaults to “Event” so you will select “Appointment Group” and now edit the details.
As you create the appointment groups here are some things to keep in mind:
- You can add multiple dates and time ranges.
- You can select which course calendars you want the appointments to be visible on.
- Using the arrow from calendar selection lets you choose specific sections.
- You can limit the time slots to 1 user or more depending on the meeting type.
- Checking “limit participants to attend # appointments” means that your students would only be able to sign up that many times. Consider leaving this unchecked if this is for office hours.
- You can have students sign up in groups. After selecting a course, it will give you the groups you have created for that course to choose from.
- You can add additional details for your meeting such as what they need to bring with them, links, instructions, etc.
Student Directions for Appointments
Students will access appointments from their Global Navigation Calendar as well. They will then click “Find appointmnets” from the sidebar.
They will then choose the course to see appointment options. Once they select the time, the can add comments and reserve their spot.
For more on creating appointments in Canvas, check out the Canvas Guides. Thank you to Cayley and Melissa for helping us see it in action.
Check out the other BNP posts on Canvas!